<< Home

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church-One Child’s Story - School Reform

United States --

The election of the new pope, Benedict 16th, was greeted with mixed feelings by Catholics and non-Catholics alike. Despite the fact that the morning news programs were filled with smiling cardinals, monsignors, and priests all extolling the virtues and holiness of the Roman Catholic Church, many people were dismayed that the topic of the horrible sex abuse scandals were being side-stepped and virtually ignored. The new pope himself had once declared the scandals were completely blown out of proportion by the press. He had also delayed acting on a molestation charge, brought by former seminarians, for over 7 years, only addressing it mere weeks before the death of his benefactor, John Paul II.

Your Holiness, with all due respect, you cannot sweep this terrible sin under the expensive carpets of the Vatican. Here is one child’s story of abuse.

We were out to dinner, my husband and I,in one of our favorite restaurants.
It was crowded and tables were pushed close together. A heavy-set priest walking by our table accidentally bumped hard into my husband Alan. Patting my husband’s shoulder he leaned over and said:“Sorry about that, lad.” Like a flashback in a movie, that simple phrase made a vision of Monsignor Bernard Moore from my childhood rise in front of me with astonishing clarity. It was not a happy memory of a jovial, kindly priest.In childhood parlance Monsignor was called a dirty old man.Today,law enforcement authorities would label him a pedophile.

There in the restaurant,surrounded by laughing, happy people,I began to cry.My husband took me home where I told him the story of the hateful ugliness that Monsignor Moore had brought into my childhood.It was the first time I’d spoken about it to him.

Read the article at bellaonline.com
Search the web for this article

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home