<< Home

Monday, July 25, 2005

Woman seeks restitution for abuse

Fort Wayne, Indiana --

If the wages of sin are death, Michele Bennett thinks being sexually abused by a priest should be worth at least $163,371.

So far, however, the Catholic Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend has refused to pay most of the expenses Bennett attributes to her abuse by Father William Ehrman more than 50 years ago – even though Bishop John D’Arcy has called Bennett’s accusations “credible.”

Some will say Bennett’s quest for more than an apology makes her greedy, a liar or even un-Christian. To her, though, restitution would represent justice and, yes, even vengeance.

“I wouldn’t have asked for money if (the diocese) had done the right thing in the beginning,” said Bennett, who claimed to be seeking only peace of mind nearly three years ago when she first talked with me about her ordeal in the rectory of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in New Haven. “But the lawyers have told me nothing hurts them but money. I was 8 years old when I was put in jail (by abuse). That priest robbed me of my safety in the world.

“Doing this gives me power. It means I’m no longer a victim.”

Read the article at News Sentinel Dated July 16, 2005
Search the web for this article

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home